At Great Dunham we believe in the importance of clear and neat presentation in order to communicate effectively. Pupils should be able to write legibly in both joined and printed styles with increasing fluency and speed by:
- Having correct pencil grip
- Knowing all letters start from the top, except d and e which start in the middle
- Forming all letters correctly
- Knowing the size and orientation of letters
Handwriting practise should happen three times each week, in the children’s red writing books. This will include adult modelling.
Some children will be targeted for more intensive intervention.
At Great Dunham we use the cursive unlooped handwriting style developed by Twinkl. This is downloaded onto teacher laptops.
Ladder letters: unlooped with no lead ins~ l, i, u, t, y, j
One armed robots: unlooped with no lead ins~ n, m, h, k, b, p, r
Curly caterpillars: unlooped with no lead ins~ c, a, d, e, s, g, f, q, o
Zigzag Monsters: unlooped with no lead ins~ z, v, w, x
Lower case letters:
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
The four joins:
- To letters without ascenders
- To letters with ascenders
- Horizontal joins
- Horizontal joins to letters with ascenders
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
The break letters (letters that aren’t joined from) are: g, j, q, x, y
Please click here for further information